What Are Standard Shower Enclosure Sizes?
A shower enclosure provides privacy and keeps the water inside the shower. It is also an excellent way to give your bathroom a unique and distinctive look. There are different types and sizes of enclosures, making it more difficult to choose the right one for your shower space. We will help you understand shower enclosure standard sizes. You’ll also learn more about the different enclosure types and how to measure them for installation.
An Overview of Standard Shower Sizes
The standard size for a shower varies depending on the size of your bathroom. However, according to the International Residential Code, a shower must be at least 30 square inches (76.2 cm2).
Here are some other shower size standards you need to consider:
- Standard walk-in showers sizes: For a walk-in shower to pass ADA requirements, it needs to have a total space of 36 x 36 inches (91.4 x 91.4 cm). That way, it allows enough space to maneuver a wheelchair inside.
- Standard shower pan sizes: A shower pan is a prefabricated base for walk-in showers with standard enclosures. The most common pan sizes are 32 x 32 inches wide (81.2 x 81.2 cm) and 36 x 36 inches wide (91.4 x 91.4 cm) for the larger showers. Shower pans cannot be smaller than 30 square inches (76.2 cm2).
- Standard shower doors: You’ll find a wide range of shower door sizes on the market. The most common ones are between 22 and 34 inches (55.8 to 86.3 cm). However, the size ultimately depends on the type of door you have, such as whether it is a hinged or sliding model.
- Bathtub and shower combination: The tub combo has a different size standard than a regular shower stall. The most common sizes are 36 x 48 inches (91.4 x 121.9 cm) and 36 x 60 inches (91.4 x 152.4 cm).
How to Measure Your Shower Enclosure
When measuring for a shower enclosure, you need to consider the angle of the threshold plus the opening space between the walls.
Here’s what you have to do to measure for a shower enclosure:
- Start by measuring along the wall. Do it from each corner to the end of the threshold.
- Now, measure the width of the threshold. Do it from the edge of the first wall to the end of the first angle.
- Finally, measure the height of the threshold from the base to the ceiling.
Different Types of Shower Enclosures
There are four main types of shower enclosures. Each one was designed to match a specific shower shape and size.
Square Shower Enclosure
The square shower enclosure is the most popular type. You can easily fit it against a wall or in a corner, allowing you to save a lot of space.
Here are some characteristics of a square shower enclosure:
- It has the same height and length on all four sides.
- It is usually made of glass, which helps create the illusion of more space.
- Its design is elegant and modern.
Rectangular Shower Enclosure
The difference between the rectangular and the square enclosure is the length. The rectangular is longer and requires more space.
A rectangular shower enclosure is also:
- Ideal for a bathtub and shower combination because of its length and design
- More expensive than the square model but still relatively affordable
- The right option for bathrooms with space to spare
Semi-Oval Shower Enclosure
The semi-oval or quadrant shower enclosure is very similar to the square model. It has the same height on every side, but one side is curved instead of straight.
It also has these characteristics:
- It showcases a unique style and look. It combines well if your bathroom has a lot of curved decorations.
- The straight side is usually placed against the wall to let the curved side take the spotlight.
- It helps you maximize the space of your shower when compared to the rectangular and square options.
Half-Circle Shower Enclosure
The half-circle shower enclosure takes the curvature to another level. It has one straight side, and the rest is entirely curved. It looks more like half a circle; hence, its name.
The half-circle shower enclosure additionally has these features:
- It is the most stylish and modern of all the enclosures.
- It requires the most space compared to the other three.
- It is also the most expensive option.
How to Choose the Right Shower Enclosure for You
Here’s what you need to consider when choosing the right enclosure for your shower:
- Your bathroom style: The shower enclosure can complement the overall look of your bathroom. For instance, you can have different colors of shower enclosures or choose to have an obscured tempered glass.
- The shower’s shape: Another aspect to consider when buying a shower enclosure is the overall shape of your shower. The enclosure needs to match and create harmony, so getting one that fits the shower’s shape is necessary.
- The size of your bathroom: The final aspect to consider is the available space. There are different enclosure sizes, and the one you need will depend on the dimensions of your shower.
Note: You can choose between a shower enclosure or a shower curtain, depending on your budget and preference.
Find the Right Shower Enclosure for Your Bathroom with American Bath Enterprises
At American Bath Enterprises, we understand that choosing the right enclosure for your shower is an important step in remodeling your bathroom. That’s why our team of experts is ready to help you find the right model for you.